Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Work In Progress

My trip around the world now has two sides of the border on it.  Yea!  I've been less motivated to finish this one but now that the bedroom has been "decorated" and this will go wonderfully with it I'm back to getting it finished. I am using 8" borders as we like the quilt to cover the bed rails. I hope to get the other two sides of the border done today. 

I've also started on the repairs and finishing the second half of the antique quilt I'm doing for friends. The last one I worked on was cut in half by ripping out the stitches.  Now I'm finishing what was left.  The quilt is by no means a perfect example of piecing.  In fact, it really is pretty awful.  But it means something to these folks and they are planning on giving the quilts to other family members.  
I had to remove one of the blocks in order to repair the first quilt.  So I've made another block to place  where I removed the one. (Actually, this is just a general picture of the quilt.)  I've fixed one of the rips in the piecing.  Two more to go.  Then I'll put a border on.  I've got some yellow from the collection of fabric my friends passed on to me so I think I'll use it for the border.  I'll probably continue to use the baptist fan panto for the quilting.  It is appropriate for the time.  Here's the first one as it was coming off the frame. (Did I really not post a picture of the finished quilt?  Do I even have a picture of it??) 

The tree from the last post is down. Sniff.  I'll miss it's beautiful flowers in the spring.  It looks so bare where it was.  You can look at the header to see how big it was! 
All that is left is this stump.  I keep telling myself the tree was rotting from the inside out but I am still sad! 


Today I'm linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced Modern Quilts. 

That's it for today. It's time I head up to the studio to put the other two sides of the border on my TAW.  Heck, I've got a little dress to finish for a little birthday girl too. 

Happy Quilting All! 

7 comments:

  1. Bless you for working on that vintage quilt. I know from experience that it is not easy to deal with the stitching variety and block weaknesses.

    Your quilt is lovely. I hope you'll share a photo of it on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colours you used in your trip around the world

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently saw an antique quilt top finish exhibit. It was really great to see those old abandoned tops brought back to life again. The quilter said that she experienced the same problem of poor piecing and many tops she said she had to quilt the heck out of them to get them to actually lay right. Sounds like a fun endeavor despite the funky piecing - fun WIP's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colors on the trip around the world! You're braver than I am - I have a couple of antique quilts that could use repairs, but I'm afraid to touch them! Awesome work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you are making good progress on all your projects. I don't think I could touch one of those older quilts. I have one my Grandmother made that needs the binding redone. That I think I can do. Unfortunately another one the blocks have worn through in places. I'm not sure how to fix that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful projects!! I am so sorry about the tree. It makes me sad when a plant/tree gets sick. Love the photo on your header.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you are saving that quilt for that family. The Baptist Fan will be perfect for the quilting - so indicative for the era. Sally

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. Let me know what you're thinking about.